13 June 2004 - Sunday - day 4

            Woke up a bit disturbed because of the dreams I had.  This week, I’ve had some weird dreams.  The first night, I dreamed that my mother–whose health is failing at 81 years old–was dying and I wasn’t able to be with her because I was off gallivanting in Canada.  Obviously, this is a reflection of my subconscious guilt over not doing more for her in her last years.

            This morning’s dream was, as I said, disturbing.  I dreamed that I was having an affair with a young woman who looked almost identical to the character “Abby” from the television show “N.C.I.S.”  In the television show, Abby is a cute, high-energy Goth-Techie. The character in my dreams was more ordinary, but still a very fun person.  I was disturbed, obviously, because I was having an affair–something I feel is wrong–and I didn’t want to hurt Kathy.  In the dream, my mind was tortured–understandably–by the fact that I truly loved two women, and I couldn’t stand to hurt Kathy, whom I still felt was my best friend in the world, ever.  I still loved her, but I loved this “Abby” too, and it was very unsettling.  I was glad to wake up and find out it wasn’t a real predicament!

            Today we went to Favourable Lake with the guide we hired, Jim, a real down-to-Earth wholesome guy.



The weather was very cold–high of 11 degrees C (52 F) and drizzling.  A camp helper went with us in the boat, straight across to the far end of South Trout lake, where we disembarked.  Our boat and all its contents were put onto a boat trailer and driven down the two-mile portage by a Honda 350 ATV (All Terrain Vehicle).  There were two other boats who put their gear in our boat as well, then all the people got into a small wooden people trailer, which was pulled by a six-wheeled vehicle called an Argos.  It pulled us across the two miles until we reached the shores of Favourable.  They lowered our boat into the water and away we went: Kathy, Jim and I.

            The weather was horrible–cold and drizzle as I said before, but now it was very windy with large choppy waves.  Within minutes, we were chilled to the bone and jarred by the big waves our boat skipped over.  I wondered if we were going to make it out there a whole day.

            Now Favourable, we heard, is where the best fishing is.  All the big fish live there–big lunker Northern Pike that are forty pounds, they said, and that people routinely haul in fifty walleyes all in a day’s work.  Imagine our disappointment when we caught absolutely nothing all morning, except for a few tiny fish that we literally could have used for bait.  We caught a couple of Northerns that were little more than a foot (1/3 meter) long.  By the way, we were fishing for walleye.

            To make things worse, it was noon and we only had one very small walleye (that our guide, Jim, caught) and we purposefully ditched the usual option of peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches in order to have “shore lunch.”  It started to look like we were having potatoes and beans for lunch, but not fish.  Then Jim took us to another corner of the lake where we caught a few more walleye.  After 1:30pm, we decided to stop for lunch.

            We landed on shore at a place somewhat sheltered from the wind.  Jim got out the big propane stove he borrowed from Russ, another friendly guide, and started the fire.  He cooked the beans, heated water, cleaned and prepared the fish.  Then he dumped a huge amount of vegetable oil into a huge frying pan and started cooking potatoes and onions which he had cut up.  He added the fish and we had a wonderful shore lunch made from fish we had just caught.  Wonderful.



            After lunch and warming up, we got back into the boat and kept fishing.  The afternoon was much more productive than the morning.  We started getting walleyes and actually caught quite a few.  We caught a few Northerns too, but they were pretty small.  All fish were thrown back except for the few we ate at lunch.  I told Jim that the fish were not biting in the morning because they knew they would become our lunch.  Now, having eaten our lunch, the fish were happy to be caught, with the full knowledge they would be thrown back and allowed to live.

            The temperature dropped–it felt like about 38F to me–and we became very cold, but we kept fishing.  The ride back to the exit point, ATV ride back, and boat ride back to the camp were pretty much the reverse of the way we came.  By the time we got back to camp, we were numb with the cold, but I lit a fire in our cabin’s stove and we headed off to dinner.

            Recipe of the day from dinner: roasted chicken.  Fabulous.  It was lightly brushed with an apricot glaze, then sprinkled with a combination of rosemary and lemon-pepper seasoning.

            Now I’m trying to keep the fire hot, and staying warm, although Kathy is still cold.