14 October 2008 – day 12 - Tuesday

Today is glacier day. We basically spent the whole day boating from glacier to glacier.

They were all beautiful, and we took lots of photos.

I'm not sure what is so fascinating about a big blue chunk of ice,

but we just stood and stared in awe.

Occasionally, there was a loud snapping sound, as if a gun had been shot.

The air was cold and the skies were gray, so I'm afraid the photos won't be very nice.

We watched in awe as huge chunks of ice broke off and crashed into the water below. The noise was surprisingly loud. It literally sounded like the rumbling of intense thunder.

At one point, we disembarked and visited a glacier up close.

At one point, we got off the Skorpios III and onto a special ice-cutter boat and basically rammed our way through the huge ice field to approach the glaciers. It was fun.

Those boats take a lot of beating. There were many times when we pushed aside icebergs bigger than a car, and they drifted by so close you could touch them.

The ice cutter was divided into an upper-rear section and a lower forward section. It was quite cold in the lower front, but we were properly bundled. The upper rear section was warmer because of the motor and exhaust. Some of the benches in that section were so hot, you couldn't stand to sit there for more than a minute or so.

The waiters on board grabbed chunks of ice and chipped them into ice cubes.

Then they filled souvenir glasses with some 12-year-old scotch whiskey. It kept us warm.

The mountains that surrounded us were green with trees that clung desperately to the rock.

Hundreds of beautiful little waterfalls cascaded down the mountains around us.

The water was white with huge chunks of floating ice.

At one point we passed a good sized colony of cormorants clinging to the side of a mountain.

Many sat on nests. They looked and behaved like skinny penguins, but they could fly.

The ice-cutter boat took us up a channel where there were lots of glaciers. At any given time, you could see a half-dozen glaciers surrounding us.

The boat pulled up to the shore at the site of a pretty little waterfall. But there were so many people on the boat that it was difficult to get a decent photo, or even a look at it.

After the glacier ride, Kathy and I went down to the engine room of the ship. It was spotless and obviously well maintained.

Even with the boat parked, the room was noisy with the sound of electrical generators. We wore ear protection that we found hung outside the door.

At one of the glaciers, I once again put my camera on continuous shooting mode and snapped exposures while huge ice boulders came crashing to the ground.


I did manage to see a seal or sea lion playing with a small chunk of glacier ice. I wanted to see a dolphin, but never did. Some people, including Kathy, said they saw dolphins though. Kathy even got a photo I think.